Thursday, June 11, 2015

Warmer. Slower.

Yes, it was a full 5 degrees (3C) warmer, and I was 30 seconds slower today compared to Tuesday.  It is to be expected.  I got a late start, hitting the road at 7:30 this morning instead of an hour earlier.  The best time to run is 5 or 6-something, not 7-something or later.  Gotta remember that one.

Two positives to take away from today is 1) I made it to 0.3 miles before hitting HRmax (on the startout), compared to 0.2 miles just three runs earlier, and 2) I went over 1.5 miles being able to recover to 70% of HRmax before running again.  Thermodynamics took over, and by the end of the run, I could only recover to 75% HRmax.  The one negative from today happened late in the run.  I began to feel some knee pain.  With all the work I have done on form the last few years, I was able body-sense and assess quickly.  I made a form correction and was OK afterwards.  When fatigued, it is harder to keep good form, and the heat was getting the best of me.

Yes, I wish I could run the whole thing at 80% HRmax or less.  It is summer, I am overweight (but losing it), I have had a broken ankle and sinus surgery in the last 12 months.  I have no other option but to be patient and keep going.  I want with all my being to get back 10-12 mile weekend runs.  I did not get to there overnight back then, and it will not happen overnight this time.  Endeavor to persevere.  George Wooten penned that (or was it Lone Watie?).

Tomorrow is a cycling day.  Keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment