Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Coming back again, hopefully this time sans interruption...

It has been six weeks since surgery, and the doctor finally cleared me for exercise.  It has been a long healing process -- or at least it seems that way -- and the surgery did help my breathing significantly.  I have at least one more checkup before this chapter closes.

Yesterday I went for a run/walk.  All of my exercise is aimed at getting in and staying in the aerobic zone, defined as 70% to 80% of HRmax.  Due to scheduling challenges, I wound up running late morning, and here in Houston it was already tapping on 90 degrees (32C).  My goal is to run or jog until I hit 80% HRmax, then walk until I get to 70% of HRmax.  With the heat, I could not get down to 70% HRmax after the first cycle.  Every cycle I ran caused the HR on the low cycle to be higher.  I got to the point that when walking I could not get below 76% of HRmax, I simply continued to walk.  Sure, it is not as satisfying as running the whole time, but I will get there.

Today I cycled almost 5 miles for cross training.  I was out 25 minutes, and the last 15 minutes were in the aerobic zone.  A little thigh burn is good for the soul.  It is hard to find a longer route without getting on some busy roads, so this is something on which I will be working.

One day at a time, keep moving forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment