Monday, April 27, 2015

Why quiet?

No, I did not give up already...

On Thursday last, I had surgery to repair a deviated septum and remove polyps in the sinus cavities.  This surgery is uncomfortable enough, and mine had the good fortune of taking almost twice as long as expected.   It was more of a mess than my doctor expected, despite a pre-surgery CT scan.  My sinuses and nose bled for the better part of the next 3 days, finally stopping in the wee hours of Sunday morning.  I go Wednesday to get the "packing" removed and hopefully a clean bill of health to resume exercise.

This has been a lifetime problem that got worse as I aged.  It interfered with sleep in a big way, and since sleep is as important as exercise in terms of recovery and stress management, this was literally killing me slowly.  If you have any such problems, deal with them NOW, for your own sake.  I will be encouraging my daughter to do likewise.

I was required to sleep on my back after surgery, which for me is like not sleeping at all.  I just cannot do it.  I am hoping to get clearance from my doctor today to start sleeping on my side.  If not, then it is two more nights of resting in the recliner through the night.  I am optimistic; however, that this surgery will allow me to sleep better than I have in years, to breathe better than I have in my life, to enjoy exercise more than I have known.

Take care, run freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment