Monday, September 22, 2014

sidelined


I use the descent of the stairs as a gauge for running pain.  Running creates an impact 2 to 2.5 times one's weight, and the descent of the stairs is less than that.  I still have some lingering TOFP, so I will give it one more day.  A friend of mine reminded me I should be cross-training, anyway, which I have not been doing.  Time to pull the bicycle out of the rafters; riding it is far, far better than doing nothing.  Thanks, Fred!

On the other hand, the Jeep received its final update until next summer: the fog lights are now fully functional.  Since arriving from France, the Jeep has received a new soft-top (with tinted windows), nerf bars (tubular devices which enable a step up to the Jeep), new stereo (I can stream and control Pandora through it), new clutch/brake/accelerator pedal covers (the original 13 years-old ones dry-rotted), a brush bumper, and fog lights mounted on the brush bumper.  At 137,000 miles (220,000 kilometers), I decided it needed an update.

That last paragraph had nothing to do with running, but did have something to do with keeping my life multi-dimensional outside of work.  It is good for mental health.  Tomorrow, I run.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget that resistance training is good for us more mature folks. Mixing in some weight training for both general tone, core strengthening, and upper body strength is a good compliment to the running, biking, etc. Plus, if you find a workout buddy, like I've been blessed to have for the last 6 plus years, you can finish up with a re-hydration therapy, cool down, bull session at a local pub after the workout. It's been a good thang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I do need to fold resistance training into my workout regime; you are correct on all points, Jack!

    ReplyDelete