Wednesday, September 17, 2014

ginger run

I am paying the price for my overexertion on Monday.  The recovering right ankle was feeling the strain this morning, though I was not limping.  I knew I could not run fast at all in the intervals; I had to slow things down to reduce impact.  Form and cadence would be the only focal points for today's run.

The run finished with the ankle loosening up in the last third of the workout.  I do not know if I will be able to run Friday -- the ankle will have to let me know.  My intervals averaged from 8 1/2 mpm to the high 9s mpm -- a little faster than I expected.  My cadence improved to about 190 spm, so while there is room for improvement, it is a very good step in the right direction.  Core engagement needs some focus, as I did experience some lower back pain late in the workout.  Overall, a successful workout that almost did not happen.  I will not deny; however, that it might have consequences come Friday.

My personal adage about running is, "All runs are good runs, and some runs are better than others."  I might also add, "The only bad run is the one you did not make, unless it was your body that told you to not go."  The tricky part is ascertaining whether the body is truly speaking, or if the head is speaking on its behalf.

See you again soon...


2 comments: